The 14th Engineer Battalion originated as the 2nd Battalion, 36th Engineer Combat Regiment and was activated on 1 June 1941 at Plattsburg Barracks, New York. The Battalion fought with distinction in ten campaigns during World War II, including five amphibious beach assaults: Algeria/French, Morocco, Sicily, Naples, Anzio, and Southern France. The regimental shoulder patch included a sea horse reflecting the unit’s amphibious operations, and is also on the 14th Engineer insignia. In addition to numerous combat engineer missions, the Battalion frequently fought as Infantry, including 47 continuous days at Anzio Beachhead.